Your Labrador deserves only the best from you. It’s your job as the owner to supply him not just an ordinary edible meal but rather the best dog food for labs.
Every breed differs from each other. This means the food required for a particular breed may not be ideal for another. They may be some exemptions but it’s better to be safe. You can’t afford to see your dog suffer from an allergy or other symptoms due to their sensitive stomach.
Having a Labrador can be hard if you are new to it but they are really adorable, loyal, and sweet. They are also family friendly so it’s easy for them to get along with your household members and other pets if you have any.
Another thing to love is their active, high spirited and athletic nature, so you must take them outdoors most of the time, may it be just a walk outside your neighborhood, or a jog in a park.
Labradors need constant exercise to prevent them from being obese – a common problem of this breed. Furthermore, they have a double-coat dense skin so they shed seasonally. Regular grooming and care towards his coat will be necessary to keep its health and shine.
If you are a pet owner who is confused and still searching for the dog food that will best suit your Labrador, then worry no more! This article provides you the top 10 products for the best dog food for labs. Scroll down to know more!
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 10 best dog food for labs 2018
- 1.1 1. Taste of the wild canine formula
- 1.2 2. Blue buffalo basics
- 1.3 3. Royal canin breed health nutrition labrador retriever adult
- 1.4 4. Wellness CORE natural grain free dry dog food
- 1.5 5. EUKANUBA breed specific labrador retriever adult dry dog food
- 1.6 6. Diamond naturals dry food for adult dogs
- 1.7 7. Natural balance original ultra whole body health large breed recipe
- 1.8 8. Merrick grain free dry dog food
- 1.9 9. Brothers complete turkey meal and egg advanced allergy formula
- 1.10 10. Purina pro plan FOCUS adult weight management large breed formula adult dry food
- 2 Conclusion
Top 10 best dog food for labs 2018
1. Taste of the wild canine formula
Looking for the ideal food for your Labrador but doesn’t want to spend too much? I recommend you the Taste of the Wild canine formula. It has premium quality at a very reasonable price.
It features grain free ingredients Taste of the Wild dog foods are formulated in a way your dog will feel he is eating natural food in the wild.
What’s great about this dog food is that the company uses fermented food products which are proven by countless research to be beneficial by canines. With the help of these fermented food products, it will trace your dog’s gastrointestinal tract to help get rid of unwanted gasses, consequently boosting his immune system. As a result, your labs can stay healthy and happy.
There are a lot of flavors and formulas available in the Taste of the Wild line, though the production and the making of this dog food are from Diamond Company. Taste of the Wild assures their food is safe and effective. In the past Diamond Company had issues relating to salmonella contamination. But that was long gone; today, Diamond says they use 151 tests and quality checks to ensure high-quality products, assuring no more issues from then on.
Famous among pet owners in the Taste of the Wild line is the Roasted Bison and Roasted Venison. Main Ingredients includes Buffalo, which is a good source of protein and also contains amino acids, zinc, and iron. Sweet potatoes are rich sources of vitamins A, C, and iron, as well as beta carotene that serves as energy-building block. Chicken can give abundant protein. And lamb meal is a great alternative if your dog is allergic.
Though it is linked with Diamond Company, breaking down its ingredients and nutritious affiliations, I can say that it is one of the favorites among pet owners for its premium high-quality ingredients.
- The formula contains fermented products that are good and healthy when it comes to the gastrointestinal tract.
- They use natural preservatives.
- They use natural preservatives.
- All Diamond products were recalled on May 2012 after a salmonella outbreak in South Carolina.
2. Blue buffalo basics
Blue Buffalo is one of the most famous brands pet owners prefer for its hypoallergenic formula. We cannot deny that some dogs are sensitive to some particular food that might trigger allergic reactions.
Blue Buffalo ingredient is formulated for those labs who are sensitive when it comes to their dog food while maximizing nutrient absorption. Highly picked and natural ingredients are the key to this mild dog food. It contains pea fiber and pumpkin for gentle nutrient absorption.
The formula contains no poultry by products meals which some dog breeds are sensitive to. It contains no wheat, corn, dairy, soy, and eggs which are known to cause reactions among sensitive dogs while still providing nutrients your labs needs for its life stage. But even though the formula is minimized for food sensitivity among dogs, the company assures that the ingredients are still high-quality meats and easily be digested.
Labradors are known to be active and athletic so I recommend Blue Buffalo dry food for it contains Glucosamine and chondroitin that is known to support healthy joints, so your labs can run as fast as they can without no worries.
Its unique formula also contains what they call LifeSource bits which basically a blend of antioxidants and minerals selected ingredients by nutritionists and researchers to help strengthen your dog’s immune system and healthy oxidative balance to help him fight against sickness and diseases.
- Hypoallergenic dog food, so it is suited for sensitive labradors.
- The formula contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin for healthy joints.
- Poultry Free Ingredient
- LifeSource Bits is a blend of antioxidant.
- Some Dogs don’t like the formula’s taste.
3. Royal canin breed health nutrition labrador retriever adult
Royal Canin is one of the brands which have a specific type of food for a specific type of breeds. They specifically target the common problems among Labradors and help them prevent it when they come to age. Common problems such as hip and joint mobility issues, cataract is present and obesity.
Royal Canin Dry dog food for Labrador retriever has formulated extra vitamins, and minerals for this kind of problems as the Labrador gets old. Vitamins for eye health for a clearer vision to prevent cataracts, minerals to help and keep the joints healthy and strong, also high protein formula at the same time gets intact to its fat content to prevent weight gain that can cause obesity to labs.
Labradors tend to gulp their food immediately quickly which causes weight gain and when there is weight, it's more reason for the joints to overwork and stress themselves. The kibble shape is designed for easy chewing and ingestion so the nutrients will be easily absorbed.
Labs have a known waterproof coat that secretes oil to protect them against extreme weather such as too much cold or heat, so this formula is tailored to have complex vitamins like fish oil to maintain the coat’s healthiness.
- Formula targets the common problems on labs as they come to an age such as joint problems and cataract formation.
- Donut shaped form for easy digestion.
- Helps promote coat vitality.
- Some claims that it can cause diarrheas.
- It contains chicken meal by product which some dogs are allergic to.
4. Wellness CORE natural grain free dry dog food
Wellness CORE provides quality ingredients such as deboned turkey, turkey meal and chicken meal which is formulated to ensure nutrient absorption instead it will straight right into the stool. Its formulated probiotics and minerals support and aid gastrointestinal issues and because it is grain-free formula its is suitable for those labs who have a sensitive stomach and is suffering from food allergies.
This formula contains rich ingredients that will help your labs strive for the day. The right amount of probiotics, minerals, omega fatty acids such omega 3 and omega 6 to ensure healthy wellness all over.
I recommend this formula for it is said to mimic your dog’s ancestral diet which is really interesting. Also, they have this unique ingredient called Yucca Schidigera which is known to reduce the stinky smell on stools. Glucosamine protects and keep the joints healthy and strong is also present. Kale which is a highly nutritious vegetable that is known to be rich in beta carotene and vitamins K, A, C, lutein, and zeaxanthin a good source of calcium for stronger bones and teeth.
Wellness CORE formulas are packed with botanicals and nutritional supplements without protein fillers and grains so it is helping your lab’s well being up to its core. They balanced their protein content to avoid obesity among dogs also managing its nutritional portions.
- Formula contains no artificial colors, flavors and even perservatives.
- It has Yucca Schidigera ingredient that will help reduce odor in the stool.
- Formula does not contain protein fillers.
- It is expensive compared to other products.
5. EUKANUBA breed specific labrador retriever adult dry dog food
EUKANUBA is known for its formula which targeting specific breeds among dogs for those pet owners who wants food specially made for their four legged pet. They provide nutrition for different specified breeds like Dachshunds, German Shepherds, Boxers, Rottweilers and much more.
But before reaching your respective homes into the bowl of goodness for your Labrador, there have been about 120 quality tests conducted to ensure quality control and high-quality ingredients are assured and used only for you.
EUKANUBA dry food for labrador retriever is on the list for best dog food for labs because aside from it is specially made for this kind of breed but also because its unique feature such as the 3D DentaDefense system that is known and proven to reduce tartar build up in just 28 days with this you can assure that your labs don’t just get nutrients from it but also it can help him achieve strong teeth.
Made with high-quality proteins from chicken, egg, lamb, and fish to achieve leaner muscles and energy consumption. Its ingredients are also formulated to help support healthy joints and ligaments. They also promote healthy digestion for easy nutrient absorption.
Not only you can assure that every bite of EUKANUBA dry food for you Labrador is high quality, they guarantee that every meal from this will make a positive impact on your pet’s life or not, but they can also always give your money back. So if you have problems and satisfactory issues in EUKANUBA breed specific Labrador Retriever adult dry dog food you can complain and have your money back into your pockets.
- Formula contains 3D feature which is a DentaDefense system for tartar build-up
- Guaranteed money back if you have issues.
- The formula contains Beet pulp which some manufacturers claimed to be dangerous in kidney and liver.
6. Diamond naturals dry food for adult dogs
Diamond Naturals product line has 12 different formulas in the market. One that I can recommend is the Diamond Naturals beef meal and rice formula dry dog food. It is suitable for those labs who are sensitive on chicken or any poultry by products.
The formula uses real beef protein plus added probiotics and minerals that provide sufficient energy and muscle build up your labs need to stay active also it encourages your lab to eat for it has an exquisite taste. It is complete with omega 3 and omega 6 to help keep the coat shiny and healthy. It is said to be with 26% protein with only 16% fat.
Having a lot of formulas from Diamond line is not a bad thing. They have different methods for a different set of preferences and problems among pet owners. An example would be the Diamond Natural Light line dog formula, which is said to have 15% fewer calories than their formulas, which is a great dog food for over weight and obese labs (common problem among labs as they age).
- Most labs love the taste of this formula.
- The formula contains vitamin E and selenium for antioxidant nutrition.
- Formula reduces plaque build up.
- Reports contain Salmonella.
- It causes diarrhea to some dogs.
- It contains more salt than any other brands.
7. Natural balance original ultra whole body health large breed recipe
Natural Balance assures its consumers to have a healthy dogs from head to tail. With optimum quality ingredients that will support your labs needs and nutrient consumption in every life stage.
Formula contains DHA and EPA which is essential for brain health for cognitive learnings. Cataracts are common problems among labs as they come to age, that is why Natural balance contains Taurine to help maintain healthy and clearer vision among them as they age. Carrots which is high and loaded with phytonutrients and vitamins such as A, K and C.
Natural Balance’s philosophy is providing pet owners and pet a high satisfactory feedback among their products also they created formulas which will be needed for your labs in its different life stages. Not just they offer high-quality ingredients also they have the strictest standards for quality control among their products. They want you to assure that every time you buy Natural Balance line it is made with perfection and high quality.
The company wants you to achieve food for a lifetime for when you go and try Natural Balance Original dry dog food products you will not go back.
- The formula contains taurine for heart and eye health.
- Formula contains brewers yeast which is a controversial ingredient that is said to cause allergic reactions to dogs.
8. Merrick grain free dry dog food
I recommend Merrick Grain Dry Dog food because just like any other dog food which provides you vitamins and minerals that your labs will need during his lifetime, the proteins for muscle build up and energy consumption, easy nutrition absorption and grain sensitivity system, what Merrick differs from any other dog food brand is the fresh ingredients they use which ensures consumers the high quality and the best ingredients nature can offer. Plus the formula is made from their own five star kitchen manufacturing facilities.
The finest and the freshest ingredients is the company’s promise.
- The company ensures formula does not contain ingredients from China.
- Contains amino acids for a faster metabolism.
- Farm fresh Ingredients.
- The formula contains alfalfa which is uncommon to use in a dog food for it is linked to a horse feeds.
9. Brothers complete turkey meal and egg advanced allergy formula
Brothers Advanced allergy formula is one of the best dog food for labs because it focuses mainly on healing, balancing and maintaining healthy well being of your dogs.
Its mild formula is safe among those labs who are really picky and highly sensitive stomachs. Its high ingredients strictly picked to insure nothing will go wrong on the mixture and to its promise, gentle care.
I recommend this for it is formulated to heal skin infections and tummy related issues. It helps improve immune system and healing system of your labs body.
- Made with low glycemic carbs for natural allergy care
- It has 23 amino acids plus 9 more that cannot be produced by your dog’s body.
- Formula contains no BHA, BHT or ethoxyquin (chemical preservatives).
- Some uncertified stores sells the formula.
10. Purina pro plan FOCUS adult weight management large breed formula adult dry food
Big breeds such as labradors don't mean to be fat and bulky. They must have a proper weight and lean muscles so that their joints won’t over work themselves as they age. I can recommend you Purina Pro Plan adult weight management for the large breed for it focuses maintaining your labs on its right weight while not giving you nutritional ingredients shortcuts.
Purina is proudly US made with a USA manufacturing facilities. They ensure quality with no artificial flavors, colors nor preservatives.
This formula has 15% less fat than other Purina’s formula. This suits for pet owners who have an issue with getting too much weight among their labs. The weight management formula
helps labs to remain intact on their weight as they age.
- Contains biotin that proves to help your dogs achieve healthier and shinier coat.
- Formula contains “animal digest” which usually sprayed onto the mixture to improve its taste.
- Garlic is present in the ingredient though it can have benefits, it can also cause anemia among dogs.
Every dog is different. Even dogs of the same breed may still have some distinct difference from each other. This is the reason why there’s a chance you won’t make it right the first time especially in selecting the best dog food for labs.
But choosing the right product has become much easier with this article. I hope this list has become a great help to you. Select one according to your preference and see its wonders. Thanks for reading and keep loving your labs!